Monday, August 9, 2010

Candy Corn Brittle

Candy corn is not my favorite. My former room mate Kendra and I discussed our dislike for it on several occasions. One particular time was shortly after I met JT and was making a batch of this brittle in hopes of making a good impression.

In Kendra's words: "I don't like candy corn. Every year I try it, just to make sure I still don't like it, and every year I remember why I don't like it and pledge not to try it again. It's not the initial taste. The initial taste is fine. But then it's that weird middle and aftertaste that just doesn't go away. Ugh. It haunts me. Talk about scary... what a perfect Halloween candy."

But JT still likes it, and I still like JT, so I am bringing back the candy corn brittle, even though it's off-season. I definitely like this brittle more than plain candy corn.

1.5 Cups sugar
1/4 Cup water
1/2 Cup corn syrup

½ teaspoon salt
1 cup candy corn
2 T butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon Baking soda

In saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat and bring syrup to boil. Cook until candy thermometer reads 300 degrees or hard crack stage. This will take at least 10 minutes.

While it's bubbling, place a buttered sheet of foil on a flat surface (counter, cookie sheet, whatever).
 When the syrup reaches 300, remove from heat, add salt, butter and vanilla. Then add soda mixture, mixture will be foamy. Stir in candy corn and allow it to melt a little.
Pour brittle onto buttered foil and spread. Allow to cool completely before breaking into pieces.
Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment