Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pear Jam

My sweetie and I have a thing about pear jam. Not that it's particularly important to either of us. But it's been a running joke since about the third date.

Me: I got some cute little Christmas presents from my students today.
JT: Yeah? Like what?
Me: Some candles, stationary, and one kid gave me pear jam. You know, like jam, made out of pears.
JT: Oh is that what pear jam is? Thanks for explaining that. I couldn't have figured it out myself, based on its name.

So while JT is home visiting family for 2 weeks, I am making pear jam.

Pear jam is SUPER easy:

  • Cut up about 4 or 5 pears into slices, removing stems and cores.
  • Mix them in a bowl with a cup of sugar.
  • Put the bowl in the refrigerator overnight. The sugar and pear juice makes a liquid when you let it sit long enough.
  • The next day, put half a cup of water in a pot. Add the pear-sugar mix, making sure to get the sugar and juice in there.
  • Add cinnamon and nutmeg if you're awesome.Let it bubble for 20-30 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until pears are soft and mushy. Then take it off the stove.
  • If you have an immersion blender, use that, otherwise pop it in the blender or food processor. Don't over-process it.
  • Put it in a container and pop it in the fridge. Epicurious says you should use it in a week, but I bet it would last at least 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment