Friday, August 6, 2010

Make-Do Marinade

I find a good marinade can make anything delicious, especially on the grill. Growing up, my dad had his go-to marinade recipe for chicken and steak, which he passed down to me. You can find it here*.

But I'm not going to the store to get lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, or dijon. Not today.

My substitutions:

For the lemon juice: orange juice. Close enough.
For the Worcestershire sauce: A1 sauce. I know, I thought it was funny too.
For the dijon: regular mustard.
And I forgot to add the balsamic vinegar. No great loss, there are plenty of great flavors without it.

Mix all the ingredients in the recipe, with the substitutions above, in a gallon plastic bag with thawed chicken breasts. Let sit for a few hours. Then fire up the grill and cook.

The result?

Mom can't tell the difference between my recipe and my dad's. The lesson: never be afraid to get creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment