Saturday, October 30, 2010


Last week I decided to have our first fire in our fireplace since we acquired one in July. For the first two hours, everything was going smoothly. The wood was crackling away, smoke was going up the chimney, and all was well and cozy.

And then the smoke started coming back down the chimney. I know, I know, check the flue... I did and it was open. It's been a week and I can still faintly smell the smoke. So rather than risk a repeat (that was a LOT of laundry to do!), I decided to opt for a cheaper, less-smelly, eco-friendly fireplace solution. This trick is far from original, and I think Martha Stewart started it, but I'm not sure.

The candles I got from Ikea for $10, and will probably last most of the fireplace-using season. Way cheaper than buying wood! Better for the earth, less smelly, less dangerous, and just as cozy.

If you don't have a fireplace, you could still create a fireplace-like effect by designating a certain counter or table as the candle area. I suggest putting a plate or tray down, as these candles will drip beautifully. Just be safe, and make sure your pets are smart enough to stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment