Sunday, October 10, 2010

Indian Spice Rice

I got this yummy recipe from my mom's grad school room mate, Carol, who is a fantastic veggie cook. I've modified it slightly so the ingredients aren't as obscure or expensive. I knew this one would be yummy just looking at the colors of the spices. So pretty!

1 T butter or oil
dash of cinnamon
few dashes of ground cloves
1 t cumin
1.5 cups rice (basmati or jasmine)
3.5 cups water
1 t turmeric
handful of frozen peas
a carrot or handful of baby carrots

Rinse the rice and set aside. Actually do this, it's important.

Heat butter or oil in a 2 quart pan over medium heat. Put in cinnamon, ground cloves (the original recipe calls for cinnamon sticks, but those are expensive, and whole cloves, which I imagine are not as nice to chew) and cumin. Stir.

Add drained rice without water and let sauté for a minute or two until it becomes fragrant.
Add water and turmeric. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and add peas and chopped carrot.

Cook until water is gone.

The original recipe doesn't call for it, but this rice is very yummy with a small dash of soy sauce. I'm always up for culinary cultural fusion. Also, JT and I agree it would be really nice with some cut up chicken in it, to make it more of an entree.

No comments:

Post a Comment